Monday, October 19, 2015

One More Stop

Our vacation this year was one of many first, it was our first time visiting certain cities, national parks, eating certain foods and visiting the Hoover Dam. After leaving the Grand Canyon we headed to Las Vegas, Nevada. However, prior to arriving in Las Vegas we made a pit stop at the Hoover Dam. We arrived just in time for sunset. 


In case you're not familiar with the Hoover Dam, here are 5 quick facts:

1. Built between 1931 and 1936
2. It's a concrete arch gravity dam in the Black Canyon of the Colorado River
3. On the border of Nevada and Arizona
4. Cost over 100 lives
5. Named after President Herbert Hoover

The Hoover Dam was not a stop we were 100% sure of making so we didn't book a tour. We roamed around for a while taking in the massive construction and pondered on how such an enormous construction was completed in the early 1930's, a time when workers didn't have the heavy machinery, equipment or technology we have now. It's quite impressive. 







Don't you guys just love when the sky is filled with clouds and cast a shade of beautiful colors? I'm not a fan of sunset because it makes me sad, but I do enjoy watching colorful clouds move in. 





Before we knew it the sun had disappeared and the night was upon on, so we made our way to our car. I took this picture while walking back to the car and wish I would have paid more attention and tried to capture a clearer picture. Look at the size of the moon! 

p.s. The whole time I was there I was reminded of the the movie Fools Rush In. I've always enjoyed that movie and I think it's time to watch it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment