Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Texture




I've come to a realization, I love photographs that focus on texture.  I find them fascinating for various reasons. A great texture shot will remind you of the feel of something.  It will remind you of  a smell or taste of something you've enjoyed. It can transport you to a certain time of the year your yearn for. It can remind you of a time in your life you wish you can go back to. A great texture shot can tell you the age of something, the wise and many years something has existed.

This post was going to end with the paragraph above,  I actually hit publish but then I felt like I was not addressing all the feels I have with texture. I pulled the post and added the paragraph below.

When I think of texture I'm reminded of my fathers hands. I remember the night he passed away. I remember how I held his hands and thought to myself this would be the last time I would hold and see his hands and how I must remember exactly what they look and feel like. I remember that night and remember my uncle wearing denim on denim, I remember the buttons of his jacket. I remember wiping my tears on my olive green cargo pants and feeling the soft texture of the pants. I never wore these pants again.  I remember all these details and I re-live them every so often. While I wish these memories did not revolve around the worst night of my life, I am grateful that I can remember my dads hands. I remember how they felt and how working so many years in the carpet industry smoothed his hands. I remember how he always kept his nails short and clean. I remember the color of his skin being a few shades darker than mine.  I'm glad I remember these insignificant things that to me are so significant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment