Thursday, October 12, 2017

CicLAvia

Last Sunday I participated in my first CicLAvia event! Your'e probably wondering what is CicLAvia, I'll tell you.  According to the CicLAvia website, CicLAvia catalyzes vibrant public spaces, active transportation and good health through car free streets. Basically, you get to ride your bike in the middle of the street with out the fear of a car hitting you. It's free, it's fun, it's a community event and it's a must! 

Before you scroll down, I should mention this post is picture heavy. Also, have you ever seen that movie Yes, Man? In that movie, Zoe Deschanel's Character plays an instructor that teaches a photography class while running. Bizarre right, and you can only imagine what the photos would look like. I felt like that during this event. I snapped these pictures while riding my bike, so forgive me if some are not as crisp, centered or clear.


We

We started our path down Broadway, went above the freeway and headed towards China Town. Got a quick glance of a parade that was happening and returned back towards second street street tunnel. Riding a bike through the tunnel was probably one of the coolest things of the event. 





The path through the tunnel led us through Echo Park and eventually to Mc Arthur Park. Now, I know a lot of my post consist of flowers or plants, and I was really trying to do this post without flowers, but come on! How can I skip these beauties.   








After the park we jumped back on 2nd Street and went through the tunnel one last time. This time instead of turning on Broadway we kept going straight and headed towards Mariachi Plaza in Boyle Heights. The road towards Boyle Heights led us through the arts district and through the 4th Street Bridge. 






The murals in the Arts District are amazing, definitely worth a visit. These are just some of the ones I was able to get a quick snap of. 











Around noon we arrived at Mariachi Plaza, we decided to stop and eat lunch. Ordinarily I go for a hot dog when I'm in DTLA but this time I went with tacos, they were delicious and spicy just the way I like them! I was hoping to see actually Mariachis playing but that was not the case, I just saw some walking by. There was however a DJ spinning some English and Spanish classics that made me want to get up and dance.









The views and the access to typically busy streets were pretty awesome. The art and the community feeling was pretty awesome as well. But I think my all time favorite was the people watching. If there is something I love to do, it's people watch and this was an awesome place for just that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment