Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Insensitive?

I write this post as I watch the Univision coverage of the Mexico earthquake. I was at work when I first heard the news and every half hour I would refresh the Internet to see what the latest updates of the earthquake. As the hours went by, the death toll increased. As I saw the images a knot in my throat grew bigger. When I got out of work I tuned the dial to the Spanish radio stations to hear more updates. 

The images and stories of this earthquake are so heart breaking that it makes me feel helpless, scared, useless and grateful. I live in sunny Southern California, where we do have earthquakes and I've experienced these earthquakes however I have never been directly affected by them. When I see the devastation I feel grateful. However, at the same time I feel guilty for feeling grateful. Guilt because I think to myself that I am so fortunate to be blessed and never experienced such a scary and horrific experience. 

I check my social media platforms and the Internet and notice that people are still living their lives like nothing happened. I think to myself how are people acting like nothing happened when I feel like I might burst into tears at any moment. I feel like people are so insensitive,  can they stop for one day and not post a selfie, an outfit of the day picture, or update me on what they're eating? Instead maybe use the time to see how you can help, how you can make an emergency plan for your family or how you can prepare yourself for any sort of emergency. Or you know what, maybe just spend time with loved ones that can be gone at any moment. I know it's not my place to tell anyone what to do or what to post, this is simply how I feel.  I know the world keeps on moving no matter what happens but sometimes we just gotta stop and take things in.  Also, prayer post! Don't just pray when there is a tragedy pray everyday! Its not necessary to post a "#Prayfor___ " post, praying is so personal and it's not necessary to let people know you are praying. Pray and keep it between you and God.

Perhaps I'm being too sensitive?
Too dramatic?
Maybe I'll regret this post tomorrow, I don't know, but this my blog and my opinions.

As my evening continued I finally reached home, and a song played on the radio that I felt so appropriate yet inappropriate at the same time. Inappropriate because its a happy cheerful song.  Its a song that I've always liked  but don't hear as often.  As I started singing, I finally let those tears out that I was holding in all day.

Oye, abre tus ojos, mira hacia arriba
Disfruta las cosas buenas que tiene la vida
Abre tus ojos, mira hacia arriba
Disfruta las cosas buenas que tiene la vida

Un descanso en el camino, una botella de vino
Un suspiro, una mirada, una alegre carcajada
Una cara en el espejo, un amigo un buen consejo
Un viaje en barco o velero, aunque no llegues primero
Un caballito herrero, que no corra por dinero
Un palmar, un riachuelo, un pedacito de cielo

Mira bien alrededor, y veras las cosas buenas
Que la vida es un amor, olvídate de tus penas

Oye, Abre tus ojos, mira hacia arriba, disfruta las cosas buenas
Que tiene la vida, abre tus ojos, mira hacia arriba
Disfruta las cosas buenas que tiene la vida

Una playa, un cumpleaños
Un buen recuerdo de antaño
Un olor a hierbabuena, una conversación amena
Un romance que a nacido, que te roba los sentidos
Un parque lleno de niños, un bellísimo cariño
Una lagrima, un momento, pese a todo sentimiento
Una música muy bella, un perfume, una estrella

Mira bien alrededor, y veras las cosas buenas
Que la vida es un amor, olvídate de tus penas

Oye, abre tus ojos, mira hacia arriba
Disfruta las cosas buenas que tiene la vida
Abre tus ojos, mira hacia arriba
Disfruta las cosas buenas que tiene la vida

Song: Oye, written by Rene Touzet, performed by La Zonora Dinamita.


No comments:

Post a Comment